E40: Winning Business Strategies in Today’s Global Environment
Would it be valuable to take a moment to zoom out really far?
Today’s interview covers one of those realities we know of, but we do not often take a moment to stand still, step back and think about what it means for our own unique personal situation. As an employee or an entrepreneur you are part of a larger SYSTEM. The system of institutions, governments, technology and of course… the business world.
Understanding the greater forces of this system is crucial to having a stress-free life and career. You NEED to understand the game you are playing.
For this reason, Lenka and I interviewed the sympathetic business professor Howard Yu (top 40 under 40 in the world), from IMD Business School in Lausanne, Switzerland.
Our purpose for this conversation: to understand how the business world works. Which are the winning strategies in today’s global environment?
Since 7 years, Howard Yu is LEGO Professor of Management and Innovation at the prestigious IMD Business School in Lausanne, Switzerland. His articles have appeared in Forbes, Fortune, Harvard Business Review, The Financial Times, and The New York Times. Yu received his doctoral degree from Harvard Business School. Prior to his beginning his doctorate, he worked in the banking industry in Hong Kong.
Howard Yu’s unique collection of knowledge and experience from three different continents gives us amazing insight into how the business world works and which best practices help companies thrive today. Howard Yu recently authored the book “Leap: How to Thrive in a World Where Everything Can Be Copied”. In his book, Howard explains how companies use open innovation to accelerate their growth.
Howard shares many amazing stories of innovation. Time and again we see… it only takes one smart out-of-the-box idea (and great execution of course) to revolutionize an industry.
Enjoy our conversation with Howard Yu!
Interesting stories and strategies that came up in our conversation:
- How Howard completely surprised us during the rapid fire question round
- Which skills do individuals need to thrive in the business world of tomorrow?
- Is likeability a good business strategy?
- What will the largest company in 2030 look like?
- Why companies need to learn how to learn
- How curiosity helps business leaders grow
- 3 Reasons why Operations is a driver for business growth
- How to build your career to be a future leader
TIP: How to benefit most: 1) which insight resonated with you? 2) how can you apply it in your own team? 3) apply the insight in a small experiment, 4) reflect and decide which adjustments to make in your team’s habits and routines.
Stay in touch with Howard Yu:
- Visit Howard Yu’s website: howardyu.org
- Howard Yu’s book Leap: howardyu.org/leap
- LinkedIn: Howard Yu
- Twitter: @howardhyu
Credits (intro and outro music)
- Song: Ehrling – Dance With Me (Vlog No Copyright Music)
- Video Link: https://youtu.be/uiLXYhi9M-w