E38: The Power of Peer Influence (Leo Bottary)
In our intention to live and work stress-free, we are continuously experimenting with “shortcuts” that help us get more done with less effort. With today’s interview, Leo Bottary points our attention to a resource we all have, but typically we use it way too little:
The enormous amount of knowledge, experience and willingness to help which rests inside the minds of our friends and peers.
Leo Bottary is a keynote speaker, author, workshop facilitator, adjunct professor, and thought leader on the topic of peer advantage. During his tenure at Vistage Worldwide, Leo directed a thought leadership initiative on the power of peers in business, which resulted in a book he co-authored with Leon Shapiro titled: The Power of Peers: How the Company You Keep Drives Leadership, Growth & Success.
“A problem cannot be solved from the level of awareness which created it.” (Albert Einstein)
If we accept this statement as truth, it opens our minds to the idea that our peers can give us tremendous value. When we have a seemingly huge challenge in front of us, one of our friends may hold the perfect answer. Of course there is a “catch”… it requires us to be vulnerable, humble and dare to askthe right questions. What would it mean for your life if you would ask for help sooner?
The good news is… anyone can do this! Hence Leo Bottary’s new book (just released) is titled: What Anyone Can Do.
Find out how you can start leveraging the power of peers. Enjoy our fun and inspirational conversation with Leo Bottary!
Interesting stories and strategies that came up in our conversation:
- Why most adults find it difficult to ask for help
- How to recognize talent inside your organization
- Why you (yes, you!) were Time Magazine person of the year
- How do you make new knowledge “stick” (instead of forgetting it the next day)
- How the world is shifting from an individualistic to a more collectivist attitude
- Why Leo believes the word “expert” can be banned
- Why humility is a powerful trait for leaders
- What is the weirdest animal Leo ever sat on? 😊
TIP: How to benefit most: 1) which insight resonated with you? 2) how can you apply it in your own unique personal situation? 3) take action today… view it as a small experiment, 4) reflect and see how it helped you be stress-free and achieve more.
Stay in touch with Leo Bottary:
- Visit Leo Bottary’s website: leobottary.com
- Leo’s podcast “What Anyone Can Do”: leobottary.com/category/podcast
- LinkedIn and Facebook: Leo Bottary
- Twitter: @leobottary
Credits (intro and outro music)
- Song: Ehrling – Dance With Me (Vlog No Copyright Music)
- Video Link: https://youtu.be/XhFyPkAe6Dc